Our aim at Skegness Aquarium is to take school trips in Skegness out of the ordinary and into the amazing! You and your class can immerse themselves in an underwater world for the day, learning not just about these amazing marine animals and fish, but also about the issues currently facing them, with plenty of opportunity for interaction and age-appropriate activities.
Our experienced team will lead your trip around the aquarium, stopping off for key talks along the way and answering all of those questions from growing, inquisitive minds!
The cost of your trip also includes access to all of the facilities for the full day, including The Bistro, our softplay area and time to explore the aquarium at your own pace.
EXAMPLES OF WORKSHOP TOPICS INCLUDE:
- Marine Habitats
- Marine Pollution
- Marine Food Chains
- The Abyss and Bioluminescence
- Wind Farms and Sea Defences
- Where do sea creatures live?
- What do they eat?
RECEPTION CLASS WORKSHOP
- What is a food chain?
- Examples of food chains
- Primary, secondary and tertiary consumers and predators
- Causes of marine pollution
- The problem with pollution and the effects on the world’s oceans
- How can we help?
THE ABYSS AND BIOLUMINESCENCE
- What is the Abyss?
- The oceans zones and animals that live there
- What is Bioluminescence?
- Bioluminescence group art exercise
WIND FARMS AND SEA DEFENCES
- Why do we need wind farms and sea defences?
- The different types of wind farms and sea defences
- The benefits of wind farms and sea defences
- Who first used the Jolly Rodger flag?
- Where there any female pirates?
- Did Blackbeard have a Blackbeard?
- What was it like to be a pirate?
PRICES AND OPTIONS
- Free teacher visit prior to booking.
- Entrance to the aquarium.
- Guided tour of Skegness Aquarium by a knowledgeable member of staff (maximum of one class per tour).
- Scheduled interactive visit to the Wet Lab.
- Each educational visit lasts approximately 2-4 hours, but entry ticket is valid for the entire day.
- Viewing a feeding demonstration that will be taking place during your visit.
- Free downloadable resource packs for students and teachers.
- Access all day to all aquarium facilities including softplay area and gift shop – please let us know if you would like to use these facilities and we’ll book you a time slot!
- Educational tours and materials cover a variety of the National Curriculum and are tailored for each key stage.
- Workshops – one hour long workshops in Skegness Aquarium’s classroom tailored to your group’s educational level and interest covering a range of topics for an extra £1.00 per student.
- Goody bags – less hassle in the gift shop, and no disappointment! Please let us know in advance!
- Arts and Crafts – make your own colourful sea creatures or pirate hats.
- Creepy Crawly Encounter – Does your group have what it takes to meet some of Long John Silver’s personal critter collection? A private Creepy Crawly Encounter with at least two creatures, such as snakes, cockroaches, rats and millipedes for just £30 extra per class (max. 30 students).
- Night At The Aquarium – Why not end your visit to Skegness Aquarium by sleeping with the sharks? Discounts available for schools when booking a sleepover with a day visit.
- Marine Conservation Team – a brief workshop about marine litter, followed by some practical environmental work on Skegness beach by carrying out a litter pick. You’ll be accompanied by a member of staff to help identify any critters you might find while you’re on the beach! Suitable for children aged 10 and over, and just £30 extra per class (max. 30 students).
- Additional adults – any additional adults accompanying the group receive a discounted entry of just £5.00 each.